Friday, March 22, 2013

21 Weeks

How far along? 21 weeks
Size: Length of a carrot (10.5 inches) 
Maternity clothes? Earlier this week I tried on all of my springy dresses and had to laugh because most don't fit me like I thought they would. They come up in the front too high for what I feel is appropriate at work. Looks like I have to grab a few new dresses when the weather gets hot. 
Symptoms:
Back, round ligament, and tailbone pain 
Sleep: I am not sleeping as much as I used too. Falling asleep later waking up earlier. Weird dreams too.

Best moment this week:
Found out he is a boy, finished up the registry, got the crib (thank you Oma & Opa!), and signed up for the hospital tour. It's been a great week! 

Wiggly right before ultrasound
I don't think I got any work done on Monday - my mind was racing over and over with excitement. Our last ultrasound was 8 weeks ago, so it was reassuring to see the baby dancing around in there. The doctor asked what I ate for breakfast because he was so wiggly (which led to horrible ultrasound photos!). The doctor measured his limbs, counted his finger/toes, looked at his brain, spine, kidneys, eyes, and heart chambers. It was pretty neat and I wish those appointments lasted longer. It feels nice to call him a he :)
Our registry is almost done, give or take a few things. Thank you to my sisters for all of their help - it's scary when you see how many baby products are out there (and you have no idea which ones you actually need). It is a huge help having two sisters that have gone through this not too long ago!
The crib is up and looks so pretty -  thanks to Robert and my dad for assembling! Lastly, we signed up for the hospital tour/orientation. From what I hear, the Stanford birthing center is really nice and brand new - can't wait to see it.
Baby looking at camera
Worst moment of the week: Nothing to complain about this week
Miss anything? Sleeping on my back and on my stomach. I get sore sleeping on my side and find that I have to readjust often.

Movement: All the time and I love it. He is getting stronger and there is no mistaking that he is in there.

Food cravings: Still eating my chocolate chips at night. Not sure if it's a craving or a routine at this point. I wonder how many bags I will have consumed by the end of my pregnancy?

Anything making you queasy or sick: My beloved steamed broccoli (cue the crying). So sad and I hope I'll get over quickly.

Have you started to show yet: Yep, I am up 8lbs so far and can definitely see that I am getting bigger all around :)  

Gender: Boy! 
Labor signs: No - did have some tingly sensations across my stomach yesterday, not sure what that was about.  I think the baby might be resting on some nerves. After drinking lots of water and walking around, it went away.
Belly Button in or out? Still in, but, weird looking. I have a scar right above my belly button from my appendectomy surgery, so the bigger I get the funnier it looks!
Wedding rings on or off? On
Happy or Moody most of the time: Happy! Feeling grateful he is healthy and right on track. I am enjoying all things pregnancy since I know it will go by quick (it already has). Before we know it life will be very different, so we are savoring our last months as a twosome.
Looking forward to: A couple of DIY projects for the nursery while Robert is in Vegas - surprise Robert! I am not crafty, so this may not go well. Now that we know he is a boy, I can't wait to at least window shop a little bit too. Baby Gap carries the Gap maternity line, so every time I go in I get distracted by the baby clothes (I'm sure that was an accident). I love that Baby Gap's style is basically adult clothes in baby size.
 
http://assets.babycenter.com/ims/2007/10oct/20071004/21-carrot.jpg
Baby A, length of a carrot!
What's the baby up to?
  • Length is now measured crown to heel.
  • The fetus has grown to 10.5 inches - 12.7 ounces.
  • It is now gaining weight steadily, with fat being added to the body.
  • Bone marrow has started making blood cells.
  • Their small intestine is starting to absorb sugars.
Your baby's bone marrow has started making blood cells, a job done by the liver and spleen until this point. The placenta has provided nearly all of your baby's nourishment, now your baby will begin to absorb small amounts of sugar from swallowed amniotic fluid.
 

Based on the size of baby's head, which is about 2 inches (5cm), the date of birth can be determined to within one week. The fetus is steadily gaining fat and has grown a whitish coat of a slick, fatty substance to protect skin in amniotic fluid and to ease delivery.
The baby can hear and recognize the mother's voice, and may respond to some types of music (uh oh, Robert better clean up his music selection).

No comments:

Post a Comment